Leviathan Student and Postdoc Grants Program 2022
Two grants worth $5,000 each are available for PhD students within the AIMS@JCU program and AIMS postdocs who study corals.
Leviathan is a unique artistic research project by artist Shezad Dawood, that draws on scientific research at the intersection of human and marine ecologies, and tries to make that research communicable to a wider audience through exhibitions, accessible publishing and dissemination. In order to further the aim of raising impact for scientific research through a unique combination of the arts and sciences, and a key interest in coral-sustainability inspired by Professor Madeleine van Oppen, Leviathan and Shezad Dawood have committed to an initial 2 year programme of small grants for doctoral candidates and post-doctoral researchers at AIMS to be jointly selected by Shezad, Professor Madeleine van Oppen and Cherie Motti at AIMS to further enshrine the potential of collaboration between the arts and sciences to make real world impacts.
- For PhD students: PhD candidature has been confirmed and AIMS@JCU student membership.
- For postdocs: Employed by AIMS and affiliated with AIMS@JCU.
- Originality of the research proposal which must have a focus on corals or coral-microbe symbioses.
- One of the following components is included in the proposal: Community engagement, real world solutions, legislation, or modelling.
- The impact this grant will have on your PhD thesis or post-doctoral research.
- The proposed project is not already funded, but it is acceptable for the requested funds to be used for a partially funded experiment.
Please submit a 1-page application by 19th September 2022 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org which must include:
- Title of the proposal
- Names, affiliation and signature of applicant and PhD/postdoc supervisors
- Research proposal (300 words max)
- Brief statement of how the grant would impact your PhD thesis
- Budget (including details of other funds if requesting support of a partially funded experiment)
Please also attach:
- cv (max 2 pages)
- Evidence of confirmation of candidature (PhD students) or employment at AIMS (postdocs)
- A visualisation of the proposed work (max 1 page)
Successful applicants will write a short paper (~2000 words, aimed at a general readership) about the project for the Leviathan portal (https://leviathan-cycle.com/reading-room/), for which they will receive mentoring from Shezad’s team.